Moalboal Cebu Philippines
If you are looking for a place where you can mix sea adventure and relaxation, Moalboal Cebu Philippines is one of the best places where you can be. Known for diving in its famous Pescador Island and the sardine run near its shores, Moalboal Cebu has been one of the favorite scuba diving destinations in the Philippines.
Another side of Moalboal also features a wide stretch of white sand beach where you can relax and watch the sun set.
Where is Moalboal Philippines
Moalboal is located on the southwestern part of Cebu Island in the Philippines. It is 98 kilometers south of Cebu City, the province’s capital. Moalboal extends as a peninsula in the island of Cebu facing Negros Oriental.
How to go to Moalboal Cebu
The easiest way to go to Moalboal is via Cebu City, where there is a domestic and international airport. Alternately, you can also reach Moalboal via Dumaguete City in the province of Negros Oriental
Cebu City to Moalboal
From Cebu airport to Moalboal, you can ride the taxi or van that can take you directly to Moalboal. Travel time will be between 2 ½ to 3 hours for an 80-kilometer distance. If you make an advance booking at a hotel in Moalboal, you can avail of their shuttle services for a fee that can wait for you at the airport upon your arrival. Dive shops can also recommend a van that can take you to Moalboal.
For a more budget-friendly travel, you can take a taxi going to the South Bus Terminal and ride a bus going to Moalboal. Non-aircon and aircon buses with wifi are available at the terminal for different rates between P100-P120. These buses take you to the Moalboal town proper.
Dumaguete City to Moalboal
From Dumaguete City, you can ride a tricycle going to the next town, Sibulan. From there, you can take a ferry that goes to Lilio-an, Santader. Take a tricycle to the bus terminal in Bato, where you can ride a bus going to Cebu City that passes by the town of Moalboal.
From the town proper to Panagsama or White Beach
From the town proper of Moalboal, you can ride a tricycle or habal-habal (motorcycle back –ride) going to Panagsama, where most dive shops are located. You can also ride the same vehicles going to the White Beach or “Basdaku” where you can find decent beach resorts.
Panagsama Beach is 4 kilometers from the town proper, while the White Beach or Basdaku is 9 kilometers away from the town proper.
What to do in Moalboal Cebu
Moalboal beach is famous for scuba diving and snorkeling, as well as other activities you can do in nearby areas.
Moalboal diving will allow you to see unique and amazing creatures under the sea. You get to spot sea turtles, frog fishes, candy crabs, sea snakes, and electric crabs. You also get to witness the famous “sardine run” where a millions or even billions of sardines would form varying shapes.
- Pescador Island. The most popular and a must-visit dive spot in Moalboal is the Pescador Island. This is where you get to witness the “sardine run”. The reef in Pescador Island includes a shallow drop off near its shore and drops down to over 40 meters. If features beautiful coral gardens and coral fishes, as well as other schools of fish. Frog fishes and big sea turtles are seen in this area, and sometimes sharks and barracudas. It is also famous for its “cathedral”, a vertical tunnel recommended for more experienced divers.
- Tongo Point. If you want to go diving in caves and fissures, you can head to Tongo Point. Its depth can reach up to 40 meters. Here you will find sea turtles, soft and hard corals with plenty of coral fishes, as well as sea anemone. If you get lucky, you also get to see whale sharks here.
- Samapguita. Otherwise called the “House Reef”, Sampaguita features small caves, wall ridges, and gorgonian corals on walls. It is a great place for different diving levels and types, including macro and night diving. At Sampaguita, you will find groupers, batfish, sea anemones, batfish, and sometimes pygmy seahorses.
Other famous diving sites in Moalboal include the Moalboal Bay, Talisay, and the Saavedra Marine Sanctuary or Ronda Bay.
Snorkeling is also a popular activity in Moalboal if you are not into diving. A few meters off the shore in Panagsama, you can already go snorkeling. There are different reefs you can visit sighting different hard and soft corals, as well as coral and tropical fishes. If you get lucky, you can even sport sea turtles, lion fish, and water snakes.
You can also go snorkeling in the famous diving sites, such as a Pescador Island where you can witness the”sardine run”.
Another sea adventure in Moalboal frequented by many enthusiasts include free-diving. It is diving by holding your breath and without the air tank. Moalboal is a great place to go free-diving since you can start close to the shore and the reef suddenly drops to 40 meters or more revealing a beautiful marine life.
Other activities you can enjoy doing at Moalboal and in neighboring areas include the following:
- Relax by the white sand beach. If you want to do some relaxation, you can head on to Basdaku, where you can find beach resorts to unwind. Sunsets are beautiful at Moalboal.
- Visit the orchid farm. There is an orchid farm and gallery in Moalboal that features hectares of orchids and other tropical plants and a swimming pool. You can also buy orchids and other plants found in the farm.
- Check out Lambug Beach. If you want a paradise by yourself, visit Lambug Beach. While there is no accommodation, Lambug beach can give you a nice break without noise. You can also go snorkeling on the area. Just nearby, there is also a gold course you can drop by.
- Motor biking and mountain biking. If you want to explore the town, there are motor bikes and mountain bikes you can rent in Moalboal.
- Visit nearby attractions. While in Moalboal, don’t forget to visit other famous attractions including Kawasan Falls in Badian and Mainit Hot Springs in Montaneza.
- Canyoneering in Badian. If you want extreme adventure while in Moalboal, you can go canyoneering in Badian. Badian is located next to Moalboal. Canyoneering involves hiking through a canyon, then jumping and swimming off the river leading to Kawasan falls.
Dive Resorts in Moalboal
- Weather in Moalbaol is pleasant and sunny all year round, as in the entire Philippines, but typhoons and monsoon can affect visibility underwater.
- You can enjoy a relaxing stay at the White Beach or Basdaku better during weekdays. During weekends, the place can get crowded with local tourists from neighboring towns. There are resorts, however, that can still offer relaxing stay even during weekends.
- You will find most of the restaurants in Panagsama beach area.